Saturday 4 April 2009

Day 63: Clothes shopping!

For some days now, I have been making a list of all the clothes I’ll need. I have a kit list from VentureCo and as a result of my previous years of travelling I already have most of what is required.

However, I have never been to an equatorial region before, so I don’t possess anything that is good for sweaty and hot conditions or for keeping me cool.

I have a couple of friends who are outdoor fanatics and over the years I realise that everyone has their favourite brand of gear. I am no different. I discovered Paramo almost by accident when walking in the Lake District four years ago. I splashed out on their Cascada jacket and added the trousers, and reversible shirt to my outdoor wardrobe when I went to Patagonia a year later. I make no bones about providing a link – I love the Cascada gear and wear it every day and highly recommend it to anyone. I hasten to say I don’t have shares in the company and I am not receiving payment for this endorsement.

I therefore scoured their website for relevant gear and discovered they had a sale on of discontinued stock. So today was in my diary as a “Not to be missed” event.

I am in heaven!

Rails and boxes fill up the venue and these are full of outdoor gear. There is a sale mentality the like of which I have never seen: slow rummaging as opposed to frantic digging. When you find something in your size at the same time as someone else, there are no fights breaking out. It is almost a pleasant experience.

The queue for the makeshift changing cubicles is full of jovial people: whole families right down to single trekkers like me have come for a bargain or two or getting competely kitted out.

I am searching for lightweight, fast drying cargo pants / trekking trousers with UV protection. This being a sale and me not being an Extra Small, I find only one suitable pair in my size but I am very happy with the price. I care not that this is old stock.

After wandering around for three whole hours, did I leave with just this purchase?

Of course not!

I treat myself to a couple of long sleeved shirts and 4 pairs of “Briefs” – as the words from the catalogue state: “underwear that provides outstanding wicking and therefore comfort where you need it most!”

Moving on…

The piece de resistance: a red Tiempo fleece that apart from being very warm without bulk is light, water repellant and wind resistant. I’ve had my eye on this fleece for a couple of years but resisted due to its hefty price tag. Yes, I did treat myself on this occasion.

I know some people might think I’m mad spending so much on outdoor clothing but I know from bitter experience you get what you pay for. There’s nothing more miserable than a soggy wet trekker with no hope of drying out quickly. Being wet makes you cold and can lead to hypothermia (extreme of course but not as uncommon as you might think).

I realise there is a whole heap of other types of outdoor clothing and is becoming big business; most good makes are reviewed extensively on the internet and in outdoor magazines. I just happen to like Paramo the best.

I am taking clothes that serve the following purpose to Galapagos: wicking, cooling, warmth, waterproof, base layer, rapid drying, UV protection and insect deterring.

No comments:

Post a Comment