Wednesday 4 February 2009

Do you speak English?

Day 3: I procrastinate or in other words “try and talk myself out of it…”

Most evenings, after the day job I am too tired to do anything except to veg in front of the TV. I force myself to boot up my laptop and book my trip but by end of the third evening on the internet, my feet are seriously cold.

1) I would be travelling on my own;
2) I am female;
3) I am in my 50s and my bones hurt;
4) my knowledge of Spanish is limited to four words/phrases: Hola (hello), cerveza por favor (beer please), hablas ingles (do you speak English?) and gracias (thank you);
5) Galapagos is nearly 1000 miles from mainland South America and if something goes wrong it's a long way back to civilisation;
6) this trip won’t be exactly cheap and my retirement fund isn’t exactly brimming over;
7) in order to see as much of Galapagos as possible, I can’t afford to be taking my chances on trips to the islands without pre-booking;
8) there are too many tourists already in Galapagos;
9) my garden is looking seriously neglected – I could spend more than a month just chilling out at home or going on days out exploring my own beautiful county of Kent;
10) what is my elderly cat takes ill while I'm away?

I investigate a few organised trips but the cost is exhorbitant and going all that way for a boat trip that only lasts up to 10 days is not what I’m after.

Now, my sense of adventure is quite good but the more I think about it, the more I know I am right I can’t be a backpacker. Travelling on my own in a country where I have not enough language to get by is too scary to contemplate although I know it will be much the cheapest way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment